Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Can anything be easy?!?!?!

Good lord... so yesterday my teamates received an email from Tri-bike transport that said we needed to drop them off with them by Thursday rather than Saturday, which threw a slight monkey wrench in our training plans, but we got it figured out. For some reason, I didn't receive this email, but I emailed the company to see why and make sure I really had a reservation! I also went to the website and emailed the information line the same questions. This morning at 10 a.m. I got a response from the gal that had emailed me the confirmation months ago, stating that yes, I indeed did have a reservation and all systems were "go". Whew! Praise the lord.
Meanwhile, emails were flying back and forth between my teammates and I about how displeased we were that the dates had been changed and at the last minute, when we really needed to be staying loose and riding these last few days before handing the bikes over for a week. Around 3 p.m., I get another email from a gal saying "No, you do not have a reservation". Uh, what? So I email her back a copy of the confirmation email I got earlier in the day from the other gal, and tell her she should check with this gal because she says I do have a reservation. Sheesh people...get your shit together!
So now that we have that situation under control (I think - more on this later), I head over to Richardson Bike Mart to pick up my bike that is getting a last minute tune-up and new bar tape on the aero bars. I dropped it off on Monday at lunch time and was told it would be ready for pick up on Wednesday by 5 - just in time for an after work ride. I called this morning to make sure, and they assured me it would be ready by 5. So I stroll in at 5:30 and they can't find my bike. After a few minutes of searching they find it in a back room, with nothing done to it whatsoever. GREAT. I have to hand it over in the morning to Tri-bike transport and it MUST HAVE A TUNE-UP!! So the guy tells me he'll start it right now and have it done by 7 p.m., which means my after-work ride is not going to happen. He offered to let me borrow a rental bike, but I didn't think this was a good idea, so I declined and went over to Sonic while they did my tune-up.
So while at Sonic, I cheated a little and had a kids cheeseburger and some tater tots, and they were really damn good! I sat in the driveup spot with the A/C and radio on for maybe 20 minutes and then decided to head back over to Bike Mart. Only the car won't start - dead battery. Good freakin lord. I knew my MeeMaw roomate was in the area, so I called her to come over and she happened to be about 2 blocks away. Of course neither of us have jumper cables let alone know how to use them lol Meanwhile, the guy from the bike shop calls and says my bike is done. Great. I can't get there to get it! So he tells me he'll call back in 5 minutes after he polls all the employees there to see if any of them have cables. Of course, out of about 20 MALE employees, NONE of them do. Great. As he and I are on the phone trying to figure this situation out, a car drives by with their window down in preparation to go through the Sonic drive through, so my loudmouth says "HEY! Do you have any jumper cables?". The man jumps out of his car and says "Lemme look". Success!!! I ask "Now, do you know how to use them, because we don't" lol He laughs and says "Yeah"...so MeeMaw goes to open her hood and can't do it (she thinks because of her broken hand - but it turns out she's pulling the parking break lever, not the hood lever) I said "MeeMaw, you're not even the blonde here!" Again, the guy laughs. He has my car started within about 2 minutes and after offering to buy his and his wife's Sonic dinner, I'm headed back to Bike Mart to get my bike.
So I pull up right in front of the service door and leave the car running so it doesn't die again. My bike is on the rack right by the door, all spit shined and looking speedy for the Ironman! Now my luck starts to change - they didn't charge me for the $100 tune-up! All I had to pay for was the new bar tape ($10.) SWEET!
I head home and call my friend Heidi to tell her about my horrible day and make sure she's ok because her son became a high schooler today lol Now the part that I didnt' get to tell her:
I walk in the door and get an email from the 2nd lady today that said I didn't have a reservation. Apparently, I somehow registered with a different bike transport company than all of my friends did, and I really don't have a reservation with Tri-Bike Transport, but mine is with Tri-TEAM transport lol
This is a good development for me, because they are still on the Saturday drop off schedule, which means I get to keep my bike for another couple of days (at this point, I'm not sure I want to lol) but it also means that I don't have to remove my pedals like Tri-Bike Transport requires. Tri-BIKE transport lets you leave everything on the bike, which is nice since of course, I don't know how to remove let alone put pedals back on lol
Unbelievable....so I did not ride tonight, but I CAN RIDE TOMORROW!!! I sure hope my Ironman "issues" are over and I can now have a fabulous race experience!

2 comments:

  1. Its so stressful before a race but at least its a while before the race thats this is all happening. Get it over with. I feel so sorry for Lan on my race days!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. Sounds like you deserve a margarita or two! Lets hope that you've just finished with the next 3 weeks of bad stuff all in one day. This is a good omen.

    ReplyDelete