Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Ironman TRAINED!

The hard work is done, the final days are being counted down, we are in TAPER MODE and I FREAKIN' LOVE IT!!!

It's so nice to get some sort of life back outside of triathlon! This weekend I participated in the Swim Across America - this race was beneficial to me, as it was a 2-mile swim which I desperately needed to feel mentally ready for my 2.4 Ironman swim. It was also beneficial to raising money for cancer research. Every swimmer was required to raise $500 to participate. Some raised much more than that, and one man donated $100,000! Total raised for the day was $350,000! So awesome, and a very emotional morning as many people got up and told their stories of how cancer has affected their lives. We were given stones to write names of cancer survivors, or victims, and threw them into the water before we dove in, so that these people were "with" us as we swam for a cure. It was an awesome event, and although alot of people don't like to do fundraisers, and most of my friends and family just expect me to ask them for money for the latest and greatest fundraiser, this one was near and dear to my heart in many ways and I highly recommend it to everyone.

Signe, Me and Liz (MeeMaw #1) before the swim! (We're laughing now...)


After the event, I got to do something I have only done a handful of times in my life - kayaking! A group of 6 of us rented kayaks at Lake Grapevine and it was so nice to just do something DIFFERENT! After we kayaked, we waded and swam a bit in the water and it felt awesome in the heat. Then we went to get some food and drink, and finally headed home to shower and head to a birthday party. By the time I got to bed, it was 10:30 at night and I had not stopped all day!

So fun!
Karen, Minou, Robin and Me getting ready to paddle the lake!


The next morning, I had a 60-mile ride scheduled, but I "allowed" myself to sleep until damn well pleased, which turned out to be 9:30 a.m.! Victory! The only problem with that was that now I got to do my ride in the 95 degree heat of Texas. Oops. 38 miles into the ride at the lake, I headed for home to finish up on the trainer INSIDE with the A/C blasting.

So here it is Tuesday night, 12 days before the Ironman and we get an email from Tri-bike transport saying they have to have our bikes THURSDAY by 3 pm, rather than Saturday! Augh....my bike is at the shop right now getting a tune-up, so no rides for 2 days already and now they want it 3 days earlier??? Crap. It also means that my tri-bag that's going with it must be packed NOW.

So that's what got accomplished tonight, after I finally found time to clean my bedroom and bathroom!
Let the packing and preparation BEGIN! Taper is ON! Unfortunately, I'll be without a bike for 10 days prior to the race. Not really how I envisioned this week, and also means I'll probably have to go suffer on a spin bike at the gym just to keep loose. The spin bike is almost as bad as the Dreadmill. Gross.


On another note, Texas is getting very hot these days! I'm so glad that the long runs and rides are mostly over and I won't have to train in the dog days of summer! Next Wednesday I'll head to Seattle and then on over to Coeur d'Alene!
BRING ON THE IRONMAN!!!


1 comment: