Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Athletic Supporters

YES! My sister and her family are flying down from Alaska to watch me complete the Ironman!!! I can't tell you how excited I am! They'll be joining my kids and grandkids and hopefully a few friends at the finish line to cheer me in! Don't tell my brother-in-law, but I'm going to beg him to be my beer boy the day after because I have no intentions of leaving a lounge chair ALL DAY!

So this week has been a week of getting back on schedule, back into my routine after having the flu last week that derailed me from the Cowtown Half Marathon. I've done a pretty good job of getting things done and haven't missed a workout yet, so I'm pretty proud of that. So far so good! I am even planning an extra workout tomorrow morning, just because the morning is free! I feel like I'm back on track, and it feels good! My diet has also been good, for the most part lol What I eat makes a very big difference in how I feel and how much energy I have for my workouts.

Sunday night I made a batch of my favorite super food for athletes, brown rice and red beans. Easiest thing in the world to make and super delicious!



The past few months have really opened my eyes up as to why America is such a FAT NATION. For one thing, serving sizes are way too big. Sodium levels are extremely high, as well as fat content. It's no wonder we are all so fat! My mother told me the other day that she used to feed our family of 4 kids with ONE Cornish Game hen! (She also said one can of corn beef hash, but we all know now that isn't the healthiest thing in the world lol) But seriously, the nation is horribly overweight and the food industry is hugely at fault for that. Thank god for people like Michelle Obama that are trying to right that ship! We must educate our young people, keep them active and busy so that they don't end up with the same health problems that the rest of us are getting these days. I myself suffer with high blood pressure and I know it's partly due to the sodium content in all the foods we eat.

So please everyone, learn the lesson before it's too late. Eat healthy as much as you can. It makes a huge difference in now only how you look, but how you feel. Food is energy, not a luxury!

3 comments:

  1. We are excited to come and watch you and all the other athletes, even if we are on the side lines!! I will be able to say I have attended an Ironman event and better yet cheered my sister on! Jamie will do anything for you the next day. You will deserve it with all the hard work you are putting in. Well, I think just about anything!

    See ya soon! Sonja

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen sister! what if I clean out the pantry this weekend? Then we can fill it will all organic goodness!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok but don't throw it away! We might need it one day lol Actually, we do pretty good with the junk food in our house. We have it, but rarely eat it!

    ReplyDelete