Saturday, March 5, 2011

Oh my gosh...what have I gotten myself into?



114 days. In 114 days, I WILL have an Ironman finish under my belt and a medal around my neck. The next 114 days will be filled with long swims, long rides and long runs, diet restrictions and healthy eating. I damn well better lose some weight! I can't wait. Honestly, I just wish it were tomorrow so I could get it overwith! It's already been a long winter of training (indoors for the most part - which I'm really, really, really over!) The bike trainer and treadmill (fondly coined the "dreadmill") are great for keeping your base training up, but they are just not as fun or as good of a workout as being out on the open road. The pool will always be about laps, but the lake swims are important too, and as soon as it warms up a bit, I'll be out there once a week thrashing around with fellow teammates so we can get the feel of the swim start at the Ironman. A mere 2,000 racers start the swim ALL TOGETHER - think spin cycle on a washing machine.

You literally get beat up in the swim. It's a fight the entire way, no matter what your strategy in the lake. The swim start is just the beginning of a full day of beat down lol And let me just say, that women are worse offenders than men!

My journey to the Ironman has taken me 4 years to go to the point of "wanting" to do the full distance, and I'm still questioning WTF I was thinking! As I said in the title of my blog, this will more than likely (never say never...) be my first AND LAST Ironman. I am not fast enough on any of the 3 events to ever qualify for the Kona Championships, nor do I want to lol The training is long and arduous, and my social life for the next few months will more than likely be non-existent, and I love to be social! So I'm apologizing to all my friends now for all the invites that I will more than likely have to decline in the near future - please do not give up on me. I'll be back, with an Ironman checked off my bucket list. Save me a beer....

5 comments:

  1. Your you TRYING to make me nervous all over again!! Geez! hahah ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chris, you're gonna rock the Texas IM and I can't wait to cheer you on! Show me how it's done, man!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are awesome! Last or not, it will be such an accomplishment.

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOOHOO!! I CAN'T WAIT! no more grumpy! let's get EXCITED!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I said it once, I've said it many times.... YOU are an animal!

    ReplyDelete